Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Other Kids

This was a great article that I read from the NY Times Motherlode blog, Other People's Kids.
From a perspective of a mom with a toddler who encounters the bully every now and then, I can relate all too well as we have expierienced the same thing.
Yes, Jack does the pushing sometimes at his school. He is still learning on the fact that sharing can be a good thing, and that eventually he will get his toy back. When I see this happen, I immediately correct Jack, in the bestest , softest, but most stern voice that I have.
However, I have seen in more than one occasion of the other kid doing the pushing, the yelling, the biting.
As soon as I see someone else bite my kid, this sense of protection goes into overdrive.I scoop Jack up immediately and all my thoughts start to ramble on in my head that its time to place him in another school, where can we find that school, why is this kid still biting? My instinct is to tell the kid " What is your deal?" and then go to the kid's parent " What is your kid's deal?"And then walk away cause at that point I would be too upset to say another word. My child was bit by someone else. It's not easy to just say, well that is a fact of life. Children will argue, blah blah. My child is upset and crying, It is my job to do the swoop and save. And like the author in the article, give the kid a nasty look.
I have corrected other people's kids. I don't yell or shout, but I do correct them in the same way that I correct Jack. Especially if the parent didn't witness it, you can bet that I am there to tell the kid the ever popular phrase of "That is not nice."
Jack is a sweet kid at school. I refuse to think that Jack is an instigator. Brian laughs when I say that. Because he says that there are times where Jack starts the pushing first, but my response is always " Yes, but where do you think he is learning that from?" Us? I don't think so. However, kids will be kids, and our job as parents is to always lead them in the right direction.
To the new moms out there - when your child gets to this stage, and yes, they will be the instigators at some point or another. Correct them with love.With a hug, Be patient and tell them that we do not push our friends. They will understand.
Jack does get it. I know he does.

No comments: