Friday, April 29, 2011

The First Day at Work

April 28 was take your kids to work day. I was elated to take mine to my work, if only for a couple of hours. From 3 - 5 to be exact.

He was the perfect little gentleman. He sat on my desk, listened to his Pixar music on my MP3, and just watched as I typed away. People came in and would say hi to him. He would say Hi right back, with that cute little three year old wave that he has.
He ate snacks - raisins, bananas, an Arnie Palmer that I made for him from my cafeteria. And being the son of Brian, he drank that right up. My husband has quite the adoration for an Arnold Palmer.

The only little breakdown we kind of had was when he took off the headphones and I put the MP3 player away. Only for him to ask for it 2 minutes later. But he asked for it in that way that he does when he is telling Max the dog a command - I waaaaannnt the music - in a quiet harsh tone. It took the quick reassurance from myself that hey, if you want something, ask for it nicely. He did and all was well.
Jack has always been comfortable as the only kid in an adult room, as there were many times where we would have dinners with friends and he really was the only kid there. Which is why I think he did so well at my work.

After work, I made sure how he would take the whole influx of the 5pm crowd. If you think about it, your POV is just knees and feet. Seeing many knees and feet running around, in the rain, trying to avoid you can be a bit intimidating.

Not our little Jack.

He walked down the street liked he owned Lasalle Street. And rightfully so. He walked down, I held the umbrella over him and he sang his way the whole 6 blocks to the train station. Everyone that looked him did a little "awwwww" . NO joke.

Oh Jack, I am so proud of the little boy that you are becoming. Very mature, and very loving for your age. You certainly were the charmer that afternoon.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Sounds wonderful. The last two paragraphs made me smile. :-)