Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Sofia Story

Last night, as Jack, myself, my sister and niece walked around the city, a young little girl named Sofia walked into Jack's life. They were boyfriend and girlfriend for about two city blocks.

Like a fairytale, she saw him and immediately took to him. Walked right up to him and started talking to him in a hushed tone. And Jack responded back. Wait, he is keeping secrets from me already?

Her mom came by and asked how old Jack was. Turned out that Sofia was the same age and as we both walked down the block together, Sofia would make little jumps. Jack would make little jumps. Jack would walk around a flower bed. So would Sofia. She was all eyes and smiles at him. He was responding back but in the shy Jack manner that he has.

The best part was when we were crossing the street. I held Jack's right hand, Sofia held his left hand, her mom held her left hand. The four of us crossed the street and I tried really hard to not the break the moment and not crack up. As soon as this starry-eyed relationship started, it had to end. Sofia and her mom had to turn the corner.

That was when we said goodbye to Sofia and Jack hugged her. Of course because that is how all kids at three say goodbye to each other. The best and most heartwarming moment was that Jack said "Goodbye Sofia, I'll miss you" and she responds back with a kiss to his cheek. He looks at me with a "Mom, please don't make a big deal about this" look. And I wanted to cry. So this is what it feels like when some other girl takes your boy's attention.
Once again, I love Jack at this age.

No comments: