Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Trio

For three years, there existed a trio named Brian, Jack and Dre. If there was a family party, a gathering, a dinner, the phrase "Will Brian , Jack and Dre be there?" always came out. It was easy to say, it easily slipped out of your tongue, it was never a tongue twister.



Our trio was a good one. No, it was a great one. The three amigos, the three buddies. When pictures were taken of us, the pose was always the same. Mama on one side, Papa on the other side and Jack in the middle.
And who can forget the pictures of Brian and myself kissing Jack on the cheeks for birthdays or just a family portrait. A perfect picture pose, one parent on the left, one parent on the right.

This trio is about to become a foursome. Brian and I are having a baby. The second kid. Something that I thought I would never say. I honestly thought that our trio was forever, and if a second child came along, that would be wonderful. But if not, we would have been very content just the three of us.


It boggles my mind that we are about to have another kid, and all that attention that we throw unto Jack, will now be split into two. How in the world do we do this? Can we do this? I would die if Jack wanted to do something and I say "Not now sweetie, I have to change the baby's diaper." And my little Jack has to wait, cause then the baby will cry, will be hungry, wants to be shushed, wants to be cuddled. All the while, our first born is still waiting to have his story read.

Our little Jack is so special. The first boy in the family. I always want that special attention that he has gotten to still be there. Never do I want for him to feel that he is second because there is a new baby in town. You will never be second Jack. You will always be number one for us. There will just be another little one that will share the number one spot with you.

So here are my first apprehensions of being a parent of two. The good news is that now there will be one child for every parent. Brian will read to Jack, and I will feed the baby. Brian will change the diapers, I will give Jack his snacks.

1440 minutes with two kids now - let's see where this takes us.

No comments: