Monday, January 28, 2008

You're going to the doctor's - Wait you're having a baby!!!

January 22, 2008

The last minutes before you realize that you are about to go into labor is quite dreamlike. I was in the doc's office for the usual appointment that day. Usual, high blood pressure, protein in urine. Hearing all of this over and over again made me think like mad that what is it that I could possibly be doing wrong that this problem keeps coming back. Keeping me at the office seemed now old news so the good doc shipped me over to the hospital for "more tests". What more could they test me on to make sure all is all right?

The tests were the usual that they do at the doc's office. Monitoring high blood pressure, keeping track of baby's movements, etc. The only difference is that I had now a TV in my room. Brian went home to get some things in case today was the day.

3:00 -Doc comes in and says" Uh maybe you will go in today but we still have to see.

3:15 - Doc comes back in. "Alright we're going in! "

Wait! my husband!!

That's alright. We'll wait for him.

3:30 - Brian comes in right at the time that Jepeordy is on.

3:50 - They tell us that we have to go into the OR now right around the time of Final Jepeordy. I wanted to know what the question was.



I could go into a whole other story of how the spinal was horrible, how they explained the spinal as three angel hair noodles going in but it actually felt like three rigatonis. How the anesthesia felt like angry needles all over my body and there was nothing that I could do about it. But ,I won't.

Everything was such a blur that I remember my son(feels so strange to say that) was crying for about 20 minutes straight while the nurses cleaned him. Finally, a nurse brought him to me and my first thought was " Who is this? Is this my baby?" All I could do was kiss him on the cheek and realize how beautiful he looked. It may be the mom in all of us, but I think that he looked perfect and did not look like the typical newborn look. He looked well groomed. And already had that wonderful baby smell.

No comments: