Friday, August 24, 2012

The Times, They Change



(left) The trio that is us, at New Buffalo, MI 2008. (right) Taken at the very same spot, 2012
  Everyone is lamenting on how time is quickly passing by. You see it on Facebook, emails or blogs and every day there is a new photo and a new teardrop of a mom taking her kid to kindergarten, 8th grade, etc.

I am not there yet, but my time is coming. Jack is going to preschool in about a week and a half. Seeing the photo above, we as a family have been through a lot in trying to figure out what it means to be a family. Becoming a trio was simple and we knew from the moment we brought Jack home from the hospital how good we were going to have it - because we as a couple have each other. There were many many times where I wanted to lose it and couldn't grasp on why Jack was always sick, why he would cry all the time, why he wouldn't stay in his bed at night.

Yet Brian has shown nothing but the utmost patience in a man. Really, if I married someone who was exactly like me, I think I would have been in trouble. Two stubborn quiet tempers would not have been good as a parental unit. But Brian is there to calm the quiet storm in me at times. I like to think that I do the same for him.

When Jack was a baby, I would ask Brian sometimes, what is Jack going to look like when he is 5 and going to school? Here is my answer. A bright, funny, goofy and all around sweet sweet boy who is about to charm every teacher and classmate that he will meet. I will understand if the teacher will love him to pieces. Who doesn't?

So here I am, counting down the minutes til we get to take our boy to start his education. I am not sad that he is growing up. I am excited.

No comments: