Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Mini Date Night

For all you couples out there that get to have a date night on a Wednesday or seem to have one every other Friday...I hate you.

Wrong, I do not hate you, but I seem to think that you are extremely lucky and that if I ever saw you guys walk down the street and enter a restaurant gleefully, I might be looking at you with my eyebrows furrowed and my arms crossed.

Brian and I have never been busier. These past couple of weeks have been busy! Drive Jack to day camp, don't forget to pack Charlie's bag and milk! Pick up Jack at camp three hours later, drive somewhere so Charlie at least can get 15 minutes of a nap. Get groceries, entertain kids at the park, try to make dinner, maybe pick up Mama at the train station, finish dinner, wash dishes, try to give the kids a bath ( they resist sometimes) brush teeth, read bedtime stories, listen to the baby cry in his crib as he resists bedtime ( what is with this kid?) relax finally around 9:30 ( as I write this blog) go to bed at 11pm.

For some strange reason, the kids decided to peacefully go to sleep before 8 on Monday. It was so weird to still have the whole night to ourselves. Brian and I decided to have a mini date night so off we went to ......the ice cream parlor called Plush Horse. A pretty decent staple out here where they make their own ice cream.

It felt weird to enter the IC parlor without little ones. At one point I felt that we left them in the car as we sat together. We ordered a turtle sundae and sat side by side in what I called the Sweetheart Table. We didn't talk about world politics or anything serious and I am sure that our children wasn't the only topic of conversation for that night.
But it was nice just to sit with my husband and look at others in the parlor, and just relax at the table. With no little hands trying to grab the spoon out of my hands. Afterwards, we just went home and went to bed.

It really is the little things that matter the most. Now , if someone wants to volunteer to take care of the kids for more than 30 minutes so we can maybe have a meal to go with that sundae, that is alright with us.

No comments: