Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Halloween of 2011

My son has unfortunately inherited my fear of all things scary come Halloween. He didn't like the masks , the goblins, the ghouls and the werewolves that wandered around the neighborhood. We tried to tell him that it was fake and that they were silly, something that he accepted as a reason last year.
This year, he finally realized that scary masks are indeed not normal and not fun to look at all. I hate them myself. To even look at a mask of a clown will make me sleepless for nights.
I was surprised that my son took the same sort of fear that I have. I have not shown him that I was scared of such things. Even when it came to look at bugs or spiders, of which I absolutely abhor, I made sure to point it out to Jack. Just so that he knows that it it something to not run away from.
I do, I want my son to not.
Do kids sense the fear inside? Interesting stuff, but if adults can sense an uneasy vibe in an office or at home, surely kids can sense the same no?
It did take a while for Jack to see that masks are not real, and after a good couple of minutes he would nervously laugh and say "Oh, that was just a kid."
All in all, a good Halloween was had. He got tons of candy and I am ready to hide that candy and hopefully think that he will forget it over time. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Momof2hapas said...

Kids are who they are, despite who we are (to some extent). I love all things roller coaster and wild. Despite my love of them, Kai can't stand them. Malia, on the other hand, can't get enough. Go figure. ;)

You are doing a wonderful job raising Jack. Keep up the great work!