Friday, March 18, 2011

The Sick Little Boy

I have to say one thing, that from all the times that Jack has been sick, he is the super champ of all super champs.
He doesn't drag his feet. He doesn't complain really. He still loves to play around a lot. He just looks sick. He will also take longer naps, which kind of screws us over at night,because then he will go to sleep at 10:30 at night. I like to go to bed at 9:30 - how am I supposed to stay up another hour? It's hard.

Last weekend, Jack had an ear infection. I feared the worst since this was his first. However, super champ reigns again as he just had one bad day, but with the amoxocillan, he was as good as new the next day.

Then the cough came.

And he had the worst kennel cough that you could hear. It would hurt my throat just to hear his hoarse and unstoppable cough. Day after the day and it seemed like it wouldn't go away. What do you give a three year old with a horrible cough?
We took him to his doctor and she said the dreaded prognosis - Bronchiolitis. And then more dreaded words - inhaler, use seven days, more medicine.
We are not a family of inhalers, so this is all new to me. Brian said that it was ok, that it was no big deal, but my mother in law marks the point that using the inhaler could stimulate his nervous system and maybe that is why Jack is acting so hyper .

Insert brakes here. Is this what I have to go through as well as a mom? To use a drug that messes around with my kid's nervous system? Hell no. I know that there are a million families out there, and that they would all probably say, this is no big deal. People use this all the time. blah blah blah
But a foreign substance that screws around with my kids neurons is a major deal. To see my child act in a way that he has never acted before, talking rapidly, having rapid motions. Is that normal? The reason why we were given this is to stop his coughing. Jack had the best night ever last night. And he stopped coughing.
I think that is reason enough to stop.

No comments: