Friday, February 11, 2011

The Valentine Dilemma

Brian and I were never Valentine's Day people. We have never exchanged gifts, never said Happy Valentine's Day, never went out for a special dinner. I do remember that we happened to go out for dinner around VDay weekend and we realized that it was really crowded that night. We couldn't wrap our minds around it when it dawned on us that duh! people are out for Valentine's! Then we just went about dinner normally.

The issue is now we have a son, and everyone says "You don't like Valentine's, but you have to do something special for your son." Really? Would I be such a bad mom that I wouldn't want to expose my son to this Hallmark holiday? I felt somewhat pressured this year that I am not loving enough, and therefore, since I don't celebrate Valentine's Day, this should be the year to do it!! Do something special for Brian! Give something extra cute for Jack!

I don't want Jack to think that this is a day that you have to buy someone a gift and in return, expect to get a gift on this day. If so, this will make month #3 that Jack will get a gift.
December -Christmas
January- his birthday
February - Valentine's day - AKA, get more stuff

This goes with the same realm of Three Kings Day. Everyone asked me what Jack got and my response was " We didn't do that this year." Then I get the raised eyebrow.
I want Jack to learn and know that he can feel love and be loved by words. That getting a gift does not mean you are loved more than the kid next to you.
I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I don't want my kid to expect anything from a corny holiday. Perhaps this is all coming out becuase for the last two weeks, I had to defend myself on why I am not a Valentine kind of gal.
If Jack does want to take part as he gets older, then I will do my best to make it not as corny and silly as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great blog, can you be a follower on mine www.roof-detective.blogspot.com, thanks