Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Bed


Jack's crib was one that was passed down from Brian's aunt and uncle, Joyce and Rich Yurko. They have four daughters, and all four Yurko cousins have used the crib before Jack. It had a small chest with three drawers attached to it. However , as Jack got older, that chest became somewhat of a climbing device for him. The first time we found him on top of the chest was about 4 months ago. Instead of finding Jack lying in the crib, he was on top of the chest. He knew that was a place that he shouldn't have been on, and his little face was somewhat worried and said "great, now how do I get out of here?" It was then that Brian and I decided to change the crib to a bed. Yes, it took us that long to change the crib. We liked the morning ritual of Jack singing in the crib, and we knew that once it would be a bed, he would just walk into our room and the morning singing would stop. That was something we did not want to lose.
However, it had to be done. That was done on Monday. I thought that I would cry when I would see Jack for the first time on the bed. I didn't. My mind did race to the Ikea catalog, because finally, my son's room can look like one in the photos! And he can be that happy kid that is jumping on his bed, race car bed sheets , with an easel in the corner of his room for the artwork that he will soon start to create. And all because he has a new bed!
He does look like a champ, so big and so grown up in his bed. The first night, we placed pillows on the floor, in case he would do a roll over onto the floor. He didn't.
I went in and out of sleep that night, because I thought that Jack wouldn't be used to the new bed. He slept the whole night.
The second night, his toy cat fell on the floor, and he woke up crying calling out for kitty. I thought "here we go, now the cat is going to fall every night and Jack will know that cat is not with him on the bed. And we will have to get up every hour to get the cat and give it back to him."
The cat only fell once. Jack slept the whole night.
From the pictures, the sheets are not from Ikea, but from Target. The Brian photo was taken by Jack.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

"...with an easel in the corner of his room for the artwork that he will soon start to create. And all because he has a new bed!"

I like the way your mind works. :-) Congrats to Jack on the big boy bed!