Monday, February 15, 2010

The Choosing

Our choice for this week is to deny Jack of all things TV.
No DVD's. No UP. No Thomas and the Big Adventure. No special treat from the library DVD.

Jack has discovered our DVD hiding spot, which is the living room closet. But silly me, I was the one that showed it to him. I thought that showing it to him one time would be just that, one time.
I didn't even think that he would remember the spot and go back there again and again.
As much as I love and adore that all of Jack's blabberings are turning into real words, now our conversations go something like this.

Jack - Watch Thomas?
Me - Sorry, we already watched this today. We can see this another day.
Jack - WAAAAATCH!!!!! ( followed by the dramatic tears)

I am thinking that this maybe go as well as his sleep training did. There will be a whole week of crying and frustration, but after that week is over, Jack will get accustomed to not always seeing his movies.

And by the way - where does he get his dramatics from? I cannot believe that a little boy his age can produce so many tears. The waterworks that fall from this kid is so intense, at times I do not know what to do. Console him? It makes the tears that much more intense. Ignore it? It may work, but I cannot stand to hear him being upset. It makes me sad as a mom and makes me feel that I am not doing my part in raising a happy kid. Alright, now I am being dramatic. Question is answered. Jack gets his dramatics from me. Great.

2 comments:

Brian Morowczynski said...

I always figured that if we're raising a kid who's constantly happy, it could only mean that we've never said "no" to him. And that'd be bad parenting. Very bad parenting.

I don't like his fits either after he hears us tell him "no", but it's definitely a challenge that he needs to get accustomed to.

Momof2hapas said...

I completely agree with you Brian. Always remember that you're raising him to be an adult....not to remain a baby.

You're both doing a wonderful job with Jack. Dre, your concerns about doing everything "right" show what a devoted mom you are. Too bad there are no absolute "rights" in parenting!

It may be a long week, but you'll survive. Don't worry if you decide to slip in a little TV here and there. Cold turkey can be tough on everyone. LOL