Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Man, that was hard.....

After Sunday, I realize now why kids need naps. Because if they don't , they become a relentless ball of energy that they feel it is funny to scream and spill their soup. This was Jack on Sunday.

I am a bit ashamed to say that I do not know on what is the best way to put him down for a nap. Jack is shipped to so many different places every day of the week, that everyone unfortunately has their own way of directing his naptime. Which on the weekends, I am faced with a huge question mark as to what to do for his naptime. On Sunday, at 2 pm , I lay down with Jack and for the next 45 minutes as I "slept" , Jack sang songs, pulled my hair, even laughed a "Hahahaha" at me and pointed at my eyes. I thought that it wouldn't be so bad that he wouldn't nap for that one day.

Except that a friend of Brian's was going to come over for dinner. And while Jack was fine, his energy spurts sometimes were a bit out of control. Dinner time came, Jack kept dipping his fingers in his soup , which I said NO repeatedly. When he started to rock back and forth and soup spilled everywhere, I said" That's it" and placed him in his crib. The next five minutes were the worst for me,cause Jack started to cry that special cry that he has. The one where it seems to say "You really hurt me Mommy. I am sooooooooooooooo sad!"

In order to not have a stone look at the dinner table, I hid in the bathroom. And just listened to Jack cry. And told myself to pull it together cause there was a guest in the dining room that was ready and waiting to eat smothered pork chops. What do you do in something like this? I feel bad because although I should have been playing the good host, my child was screaming in the other room and he was mentally exhausting me with every scream and tear. I could not concentrate that night.
I realize that there will be more nights like this, but could that be avoided if Jack had a nap? And if guests are over and Jack acts up. I am not the type of person that can easily hide on how I feel. So what do I do? The questions are coming up as Jack is about to turn two and is turning into his own little person. I wonder where the days went where I would just be timing Jack's feedings and his tummy time.
Time does pass by quickly. Too quick to even take a catnap.

1 comment:

Poinsettia said...

You are the mom. You set the nap-time. Everybody puts him down then. 2 pm? Fine- nap is at 2 pm. For an hour. "Train" Jack. 2pm/quiet/dark. "I" am MOTHER!!

Otherwise, he will be a flaming monster by age 4.