Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jack, Santa and us


We took Jack to see Santa at the Harlem Irving Plaza (to us Northwest siders, it's known as the HIP). We wanted a legit Santa to be Jack's first Santa. One that is old, kind crinkly eyes, and whose beard is real, not hanging by a thread. This Santa looked real and did have the kind eyes, so we were set. As we went around the ropes in line, I was getting nervous. And then I started to feel the tug at my throat.I thought" Oh my god am I really going to cry? Cause I can't do it in front of Santa and I can't give Jack any ideas that you should crying front of Santa."

Jack was great. We approached Santa and he looks at me and said
"Now Mom, place the baby on my lap and walk away and stand next to the photographer." He said this with all the enthusiasm of a lentil soup. I did and Jack was looking at Santa very carefully. We took the photos. No smiles from Jack but no tears either, which was fine for us. After the photos were taken, Santa was talking to Jack. He probably was telling him to wake up at a normal time cause , you know Santa knows everything. It was when Santa took Jack's little hand to touch his beard that Jack started to cry. I swooped in and took Jack in my arms.It wasn't until Jack put his arms around me that I started to cry. And I couldn't stop because I couldn't believe that we are in this stage where we are taking our kids to see Santa. And Jack will be one next month and pretty soon we are going to have this little boy that is going to be running around. And he won't be Baby Jack anymore. So with the sentiments that all first time moms have - I got emotional and cried. And then I handed Jack over to Brian cause my eyes were getting so blurry that I couldn't see and hold Jack anymore.

On to Christmas, where Jack is going to get.... I am not telling you guys yet!!!!

1 comment:

katie said...

i look at haley now almost 17 mos and she looks like a little girl now. she will always be my baby though even at 50 :) but it is amazing to think that just a year ago we were ooing and awing about rolling over, crawling, etc. now i can't believe she is talking back to me. :)