Friday, September 7, 2012

The Story Of The First Day Of School


I thought I would be a big blubbering mess when the time came to drop Jack off at preschool. I mean, I am the one that tears up in Finding Nemo when Marlin thinks that all of his fish children are gone...and then he finds that one egg. Nemo. (tears)
I also tear up in Tangled, when the queen comforts the crying king because it has been 18 years and Rapunzel is somewhere out there...just not at home. (tears)
Stuff like this, naturally then I would be a mess when Jack goes to school right? I thought I was going to give myself a flashback, Pixar style, with images of Jack as a little baby to the big kid that he is now.

The morning went well. I took the day off and at 12:20, off we went to school. There were parents everywhere. Kids were spilling out of the building. As a rule, we all had to line up outside the class and wait there. The teachers open the doors when they are ready. While we waited, Charlie decided to have a mini meltdown of sorts. It was time for his nap, he wasn't keen on being held and most importantly, it was time for his nap. I kept shushing Charlie while giving Jack my best smile of encouragement.

Doors opened and at least two kids decided to cry a bit. Awww. I gave them my best smile of  " It's ok to them." I don't think it helped much. The teachers told the parents that they could stay and we all did. Half of the class played while the others created and decorated their name tags that would be hung around the classroom. The kids had to bring a photo to be glued on their name tag. The photo could be of them, their family, anything that reminds them of home. Jack brought in a pic of our cocker spaniel, Max. It was funny to see all these pics of smiling kids and their siblings, with their parents at dinner, at the pool.......and then there was a pic of a dog , Max.

Jack had a good time. When we walked back to the car, we asked Jack if he had fun. He immediately said no and that he didn't want to go back. That is Jack for you, says something and means another. I have a feeling that every day to school maybe like this. He may say he doesn't want to go, but once he sees that room he is ok.

As for Brian and myself, we were far from ok. We were great. We didn't cry at all. I didn't even have time to think up of my retrospective on Jack's toddler life. I was too busy taking in the moment and just making sure that he was having the best time possible. Really, if I was a mess, what would that do to Jack? He would not want to go then.

I didn't really see any parents crying either or gently holding their kids as if they were still babies. Most of the kids are repeats from last years's preschool so I am thinking that he may have a class where there are no kids that really cry, or that have parents that cry for that matter. I am excited that Jack is going to school. I look forward to the nights when he has homework and we can help him with any projects that he may have down the road.

Saying this now, come back to me in 5 years when Jack has science projects to do. Um, here is your dad Jack. Papa is smart and he can probably help you with this project where you get to grow new bodies for worms.

After school Jack received treats galore - ice cream at Ghiradelli, a replacement DVD for one that was lost, The Incredibles, and some bath treats from Lush. yes, that smelly soap place.
He is a huge fan of the Baby Bots.

Day one. Over and out.

No comments: