Friday, September 7, 2012

The Beginnings -The Fascination of Elmo

Charlie has discovered Elmo. That is not a first in the history of language, I know. But in this household, it has become somewhat of a wow factor for us. He is close to the 10 month mark and we didn't think that anything would capture his attention so soon. I think Jack was a year and some before he started paying attention to Thomas , Baby Einstein and all things PBS Kids. Charles however will be doing his usual " I will not just sit here Mama, we are walking!!!" routine when he heard Elmo's voice. 

His little face could not have whipped any faster. For a 10 month old, that is a lot to do.

But there was Elmo, laughing and talking in that adorable voice and Charlie just STOPPED AND LOOKED. Very intently. He looked at his every move, he never blinked. At one point a little smile was coming about, but quickly went away followed by a more studious look. I thought maybe he was just watching just to watch since it was something different, but when Elmo was not on the TV screen, he would begin to crawl away. When Elmo came back on the screen, his attention came fully back to the TV and would watch as Elmo talked about sleep, eating crackers or whatever lesson of the day was on Elmo's World. 

What is it about Elmo? Why do kids go so crazy over this character? I love Elmo and I think that he is the most adorable muppet out there, but I don't know why I am so surprised that one of our kids is now gravitating toward him. Are we going to become an all Elmo house now? Books, toys, shoes, socks, shorts, sheets, plates, sunglasses and all things Elmo? Time will tell. 

Update....
My husband told me today that Charlie has become fascinated with....Thomas the Tank Engine. Seeing that his older brother is a Thomas fan, that there are trains all over the house, that we have a Thomas train table, I think I saw that one coming. Phew, thanks Charlie for starting to like something that we have a plethora of already. 

No comments: