Monday, February 13, 2012

The First Week Back

It was full of the highs and lows. Jack had a new reaction every day that I walked into the door. One day he was crying that he wasn't able to go with Brian to pick me up at the train station. Next day, he was a sick little puppy and didn't want to eat dinner. Which makes me crazy when he doesn't eat dinner. I feel like he is going to lose 10 lbs overnight just for not eating.
The bedtimes were the worst since Jack didn't want me out of his sight. I am not sure if it because he was running a fever that he didn't want me to leave, or just the fact that since I have been gone the whole day, he wanted all Mama, all the time.
It left for a very exhausting couple of nights, me sort of sleeping with Jack on his bed, one ear open in case Charlie would wake up at night for a feeding.
I do not know how Jack does it. He would sleep with one eye open, making sure that I wouldn't leave his bed in the middle of the night. At one point he was talking and singing at 1 am! I really wanted to say "JACK!!!! GO TO SLEEP!!" but I let him talk to himself, in hopes that he would talk himself to sleep. He did.
When I did leave the room finally, he would come into my bedroom about 10 minutes later with his sleepy tone "Sleep with me Mama." At 1:30, you are really too tired to reason with a child on why he should sleep in his bed and Mama should sleep with Papa, so off I went with Jack to sleep in his bed. Like the sucker that I am.
One night, Charlie slept the whole night with no nightime feedings. I am so happy that Brian got an excellent night of sleep that night. Meanwhile, I was battling Jack to go to sleep as I would lay in a funny position on his bed. At one point , I found one of his plush dogs jabbing me in the back. I wanted morning to come soon that night, all the while cursing Brian as I heard him snore in the next room.
This is all a slight slap to the head telling me that this is now what life will be like with two kids. There will always be at least one kid sick, or one kid will have a nightmare. And a nighttime of a really good sleep is too far from reality at this time.
I truly hope that Charlie has better sleeping patterns than Jack. If there comes a time when both boys want Mama to be with them at night, and only Mama, someone help me.

No comments: