Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Reaction and Being Thankful

This second pregnancy has been a lot different. The pain, the discomfort, the movement in utero most of all. However the one aspect that I didn't expect was some people's reaction to this pregnancy. Call it a woman's intuition, call it being oversensitive, but the remarks and the reactions that I have received has been a bit shocking, and most of all upsetting.

I hate that I spent most of this pregnancy being upset for making others uncomfortable. I have felt some people move away when I approached them, has given me the sudden cold shoulder, and most of all, the neglect of asking on how I am, how my life has been. When I have always asked them on how they are. I don't know why people have reacted this way. I didn't expect for people to ALWAYS ask me on how I was, and how the baby has been. But do you think in these last eight months, I could have been asked at least once? Let it be known that I have remembered whatever has been going on in their lives. And the comments that people have made about my pregnancy;
Oh, so you're knocked up?
Stay away from me, you're pregnant.
You're pregnant? Why?
You're pregnant? Is this a good thing?
You're pregnant? Oh.

Really??? To say this to me was distasteful, rude and downright upsetting. Even if this was a joke, it was horrible one at that. Why feel the need to be a shit when someone is pregnant? What is it about when a woman is carrying a child that all of a sudden everyone turns 12 years old and makes the most crass and stupidest jokes in the book. I was not amused. If you saw that my face was expressionless, now you know why. People like you have me made me feel like the last 8 months have been an extreme burden to you. I will be EXTREMELY glad when I have the baby and I am away from this bad aura for a awhile.

In saying this, the people in my life that have made my pregnancy much easier are my family and my husband. Bless my parents for always asking if I am ok every day, for giving the baby a cute nickname, and for just being there and helping.

I love my husband for always telling me on how excited he is about this baby. And he means it. He is genuinely happy that this little one is coming soon, as am I. I would just wish that everyone can feel the same happiness that we feel, and unfortunately they cannot. For whatever reason.

To those people, I do hope that you find the happiness and calmness that you seek for. And when you do, trust that I will be there to say "I am happy for you" and mean it.

No comments: