Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Love of Water

I cannot swim. Lie, yes I can. I have done it in the pool before. But I will not swim in the deep end. I am sure that I can do it if I go from one end of the pool to the other. But just the thought of being in water in that I cannot feel the ground freaks me out.
Jack was like me for about two years. He would hold on tight to one of us, or he would not like it if we just held his hands as we spun him around in the water.

This year has changed everything. I can't say what we exactly did, or what we said, but all of a sudden , our son loves the water. LOVES THE WATER.
He loves putting the life jacket on, loves just wading in the water, loves not feeling the ground and just moving his legs in the open water.
Is this my kid? Thankfully yes. Jack got his bravery from Brian for sure. We try to encourage him a lot in the water by throwing out a lot of compliments like we are so proud of him for being in the water, he is such a good swimmer, he is getting better every day.
And it is true. Nothing makes me more proud than to see my son just swim in the pool and have a huge smile on his face and enjoying every moment of it. I become even more proud when I see other parents trying to encourage their kids to swim and let go, and they see Jack and talk of him as an example -

See. look at that kid? He is swimming. He likes it.

Yes, everyone. Feel free to use my son as a positive role model. Also feel free to see us as the awesome parents of the awesome kid that loves to swim.

I am proud of you Jack. It may be only swimming to you, but to me, it just shows what an amazing son you are to us.

No comments: