Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Bedtime Punishment

Tonight, Jack kept jumping on the sofa, and Brian and I kept telling him not to do it. He kept jumping anyways and when someone else tried to tell Jack on why he should not jump, he responded back with a " PPPPFFFFFTTTTT. A full on raspberry.
Funny Right?
Except I didn't find it so funny, as no kid of mine will respond to anyone in that matter. So I became the strict mom, took him to bed, and told him it was bedtime. All the while explaining to him on why you shouldn't do raspberries to anyone.
He gave me the saddest look, gave me the pouty face, and even tried to plead with me that he wanted to watch TV. I told him that this is what happens when you don't listen and you don't obey, you don't watch TV and you go straight to bed. I left him in his room and he fell asleep about 10 minutes later.

What killed me was the way he went to bed. We didn't read a story, we didn't do the lovely "Good night, I love you" routine that we always do. He went to bed sad, upset, and feeling left alone. His look alone killed me.
I know that there will be times when he will go to bed like this. He has had time outs before and he learns his lessons from them. But I always would prefer the time outs or the punishments to happen in the middle of the day. Because then we could have the rest of the day to make up for the fact that he had such a time out. I don't want him to go to bed sad. I know that I can't ever prevent that, but as a mom, there is this force, this emotional force that makes you go above and beyond to protect your child. Yes, even to protect your child from feeling bad while they get in trouble.
I did say I love you right before he closed his eyes. That makes me feel a bit better.

No comments: