Monday, November 15, 2010

The Halloween of 2010

I have to admit that after the scare of Monsters. Inc. and the ability to wake up every night and come to our room, I really wasn't in the Halloween mood this year.
Am I ever? Not really. My Catholic upbringing just make me more aware of the "true stories" of ghosts, bad spirits and all that negative energy.
Plus, we are just getting over the Monsters, Inc scare. Do we really need to start over all again with the night frights? I would imagine Jack walking down the street, and he would see the skeletons and faces of Dracula, and only see those pictures as he closed his little eyes and would try to go to sleep.
My idea for this year was to introduce Halloween, and just tell him over and over again that those images are silly. Whenever he hears that something is silly, that basically means to him, Do not be afraid. It worked. He didn't get scared at all.
Trick or treating was great cause he understood that you would have to go from house to house to get candy. It was cute to see his face dig in his basket after every house that we left to see what candy he got.
Fortunately, we live right by the MARS chocolate factory. There was huge line of people , but the wait was worth it. It was a dream to see the factory workers approach you with handfuls of Snickers and Twix to place in your basket. They even asked if we wanted more to which I happily said "YES". But Brian took me away. How dare he.
We still have Halloween candy, but Jack is forgetting about it day by day.
Yes, he would get a candy after dinner. And yes, he did wait patiently for it.

No comments: