Friday, January 15, 2010

One more week til the Big 2


It's exciting for a parent to know that their child is about to turn one. What a milestone! One year old and your baby has grown from an infant to this little toddler that is just about to walk and talk.

And then , two rolls around.


I am getting excited that Jack will be two next Friday, but for some reason a strange nervousness comes about. I keep telling that to Brian and he keeps asking "What is there to be nervous about?" I always think about that and I never come up with a great answer. "I don't know. I just am."


Here is why;


We are now entering into this great world called potty training. How the heck do we do this? Jack is a boy. Do you sit boys down when they have to go? Do you teach them in the standing position already? I want to say that we just give this task to his daycare teacher. But Jack only goes there on Thursdays and Fridays. Plus we have to buy more than one portable potty since Jack goes to my parents on Mondays and Tuesdays. Which one is a good one to use? So many potties, so many questions.


I do feel a slight tinge of sadness. Jack will be two. I hate that when people ask "Do you remember when Jack was 3 months old?"

I say "barely...."

How could that have happened? I am supposed to be Super Mom. Ruler of the Universe. Super Mom who knows all and remembers all. And yet, I can slightly remember what Jack's cries were like. I cannot wish that Jack was a little baby forever though. Brian and I have come so far from where we were a year ago. A year ago, Jack would cry in his crib when it was time to go to sleep, and would wake up early in the morning ( 4:30 am ) to start his day. We had our first broken foot (NEVER AGAIN!) , first steps, first time Jack said "Look at that".


So here we are. Life goes on and in a week, Brian and I can say that we are parents of a two year old. That is our own proud milestone.


PS - Jack now happily goes to sleep on his own. No fuss, no crying, no screaming.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

When I think about the prospect of having a boy, the first thing I think of is potty-training. How the heck do you teach a boy to go? And aren't they generally more stubborn about it? Girls learn to potty a lot faster, I heard, which is hilarious because I can totally picture a little man thinking, "Why the heck would I learn to do it on that big thing in that tiny room when I can just do it in my pants while watching TV??"