Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Mobile



The mobile is this great invention that I think has fooled all parents. Let's just get that out of the way. Show of hands, how many parents out there have had the mobile actually soothe their baby?
I saw this episode , even before I was pregnant, on Sex and the City, where Miranda went to her baby's room and turned on the mobile and the baby stopped crying. I thought how lovely a scene that was and when I found out that I was pregnant, my mind retreated to that episode and that specific mobile song. In the days that Jack was a fussy baby, and there was some, Brian and I would do everything. Leave him in the crib, swaddle, turn on the mobile. That will work!
No, it didn't. I can only remember one time when the mobile did stop Jack from crying and when the song ended, he would cry all over again.
Jack will be 21 months tomorrow, so I decided on Monday to take down the mobile. Even though we rarely used it , I got incredibly sad to take it down. That mobile stood as a symbol of his infancy, and the excitement that we had to have a new baby in the house. That new baby now runs around, has his own likes and dislikes, and goes to bed on his own.
I did cry a bit as I placed the mobile in his closet, and I did replay that sweet mobile song one last time in my head.

No comments: