Monday, December 3, 2012

The Elf On The Shelf

We received an Elf on the Shelf as a gift. I originally wasn't going to buy into this new hype. Well, it's new to me since I just learned really last week what this elf business is all about. After learning what it is about , now I know why parents were so eager to get it. This is one sure way to get your kids to eat their veggies, stop whining, play nicely, start world peace all because some elf was reporting the day's activities to Santa. 


Fine. 

It's a funny idea but I wasn't going to get it. And then we got it as a gift. And Jack's first words were "Noooooooo" and ran out of the room. What could he have heard about this elf that made him react this way? I thought he probably was freaked out by its face. The elf has a cute face but really, why the sneaky smile? 
I coaxed Jack into liking it, and just explaining that it would be a fun game to try to see where the elf ends up every day. Is he in the toy box? Reading a book? Making breakfast? Doing our laundry? I am seeing a lot of parents come up with creative ways to display their elf. Now I have to think of some way to do this? If it were up to me, he would just stay on the shelf the whole time. Why would he move around? Wouldn't that be sort of creepy for a kid? A moving doll? Hello Poltergeist fans!! Remember that clown scene? 

I had to use the "elf is watching you" bit to Jack two times on Sunday. For what , I do not remember now. But by the second " uh oh, the elf is watching you", that was when Jack caught on. This is not some sweet little elf. This is a tattletale. This is someone who is telling Santa every. little.bit. of information about what you do and what you did. Basically this is Big Brother, little tyke style. Jack was done with this elf on the shelf and said, I don't want him. Take him back to the store. 

I am going to spin this elf story around. From now on, he is not someone who is reporting all news,good or bad, to Santa. I am going to say that this elf is someone that will be helping around the house during the holidays. Putting up the tree, decorating, baking, whatever. Maybe I am taking this elf thing too seriously and sucking all the fun out of it.

Eh. Who knows. 







No comments: