Monday, November 19, 2012

The 1am, 3am, 4am Wakeup Calls

Charlie is still doing this thing where he wakes up at least three times in the middle of the night.
I am sure that he is not waking up because he is hungry, yet I nurse him back to sleep because at that time, that is the quickest thing I can do to get him to sleep again.
I was ok with saying to myself " It doesn't matter that he wakes up so long as he falls back asleep 10 minutes later." Now it is just frustrating since he will wake up at least three times and cry til he is picked up. Then I lay down with him and while he is being nursed to sleep, I am keeping myself awake just so he doesn't roll off the bed. No need for traumatics at 2 am. Meanwhile , Jack will occasionally wake us up in the middle of the night. At that point , I just wake up my husband. I want to drag him in my middle of the night misery.
Charlie had a good three night stretch last week where he slept the whole night. Or was that two weeks ago? Oh who knows. There has been days where I wake up and say Yeah! It's Saturday! only to remember it is Tuesday. This nighttime routine has made me a very confused person. Please forgive me if you ever talk to me and I just stare at you with my mouth open. It's not that you're boring, I am probably sleeping with my eyes open.

I am tired. Today was the breaking point. Charlie woke up for the 3rd time at 4:30 and I angrily kicked off the sheets as I was getting out of bed to yet again pick him up. I said " I haven't slept all night!! I am so tired of this!!!"
Just as I said the word "this", Charlie sweetly said  "Mama?". As in, why are you upset Mama?
Then I told him sweetly  " Charlie, I haven't slept all night. This is ridiculous."

I can't do this anymore. I want to remember to just keep him in his crib and let him cry it out in the middle of the night, in hopes that he just gets used to the fact that he is not going to be nursed anymore at 2 am. But come 2am, all thoughts vanish and I just want to do what is easy at that moment. Nursing him has been wonderful, and nothing is more wonderful than nursing him and watching him as he falls asleep. But I think I am at the end of the nursing stage. It pains me to say this, but I think now is the time to wean him off.
This is going to be hard and going to be painful. Anyone know of any good beauty products that I can use to make it seem like I am awake and alive? I am really going to need that in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: