Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Homecoming

Last week, Jack's old sitter called Brian and wanted to know if we would like to come over for dinner ? Sure! It was a nice gesture. I was hoping that some of the parents that we used to hang with would be there, just so Jack can have a mini homecoming with his old pals.

His sitter also told us that her daughter has been incessantly asking for Jack for awhile since she misses him. I thought that was nice, and of course she misses him. He is too cute to be forgotten.

We got there last Friday and this little girl had the look of love as soon as she saw him. She was starstruck and it was funny to see at first. I have never seen such a case of puppy love, and it was being directed toward our son! And of course when we got there, he was pulling his " I'm so tired, I'm cranky, leave me alone" routine. And ON TOP of that, he thought that he was being left at the sitter's and thought Brian and I were going somewhere without him. All this just had him in a bad mood so he clung to me for the first 10 minutes we were there.
As I held him, the little girl never left our side and she stared at him as if he were a movie star. Finally he broke out of his funk and went to play with the train table downstairs. The starstruck fan followed him down there and watched as he played.

Then , all of a sudden, she said " Jack? Jaaaacccckkk??? I like you. I really like you. I love you Jack." With all the confidence and maturity of a 16 year old.

This threw me for a loop. It wasn't til she started blowing kisses at him and looked at me devilishly, well not so much a devil as just a very flirty girl, that I wanted to throw my arms around Jack and get the heck out of there. They are only 3! A couple months shy of turning 4 but is this what the preschool ages are? Love and kisses? What? I was so confused that all I could think of was to tell Jack to say thank you to her. He quickly looked up, said thanks, and went back to Thomas and Friends.

I went upstairs to tell the story and the girl's mom said" oh yeah, Jack is her boyfriend." She said so matter of factly like I was supposed to accept this and move on. Well ;

1. I think that Jack doesn't have to have a girlfriend right now. Too young to have one
2. I don't want him to be with a girl who so openly expresses her love and is ready to throw her arms around him
3. I am just not ready for this stuff period.

We all agreed to see each other again. I am curious to see what the little girl's next moves will be.

No comments: