Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Baby Test

Our friends recently had a baby so we went to go meet the little one this past Saturday.

When I first told Jack that they had the baby, he gave me a stone cold look. Half " I don't believe you" and half" what did you just say?"

He hasn't really been around little little infants too much, and when he does hang around kids younger than him, he will play with them for a bit but then search for the older kids. Like myself and my husband. I wondered how he would act , would he be quiet, try to ask for our attention a lot while we cooed over the baby? How would I act towards Jack while holding the baby?

Turns out everything turned out splendid. Jack saw her, and just stared. DIdn't say much but when he saw that we were all sitting down, he jumped and said, I want to read some books to the baby.

That melted my heart. When he reads he is a quiet reader, he makes up his own stories and kind of looks around to see who is looking at him. While he read the stories, he was looking at her. Plus I think that he liked looking at books that he hasn't seen at all. He did fancy one book that was about trains, and my mind quickly went to a thought as Jack would read his Thomas books to his brother or sister in the future.
After the book reading, was the playtime. He took out a little stuffed lamb and a camera, and said" I want to give these toys to the baby."

All in all, he was very happy to be next to her. The initiative that he took to read to her was most surprising and was a relief to my husband and I. We think he may be alright with the new baby on board that is coming soon.
At one point, the baby sneezed and that gave Jack a huge laugh. I think that will the be the part that Jack will love the most about his brother or sister, the baby noises and the ability to laugh.
5 more weeks.

No comments: