Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Somewhat Awesome But Heartbreaking Moment

Brian and I were given a chance to see a movie on New Year's Eve.

Wait?? We had a chance to go out? We had a babysitter? God is good because he heard our prayers and gave us a chance to see Lincoln. Phew! Thanks God!!

But my heart however was torn. Just that morning, I told Jack that as soon as I came home from work that day, we would make cookies. Now we were told to go see a movie and I felt like a rat, breaking my promise to my son. Brian was getting ready to go out but I somewhat was still skipping around a bit. I still was thrown that we were actually going out so my mind was trying to catch up to the events that was happening at that moment. I looked at Jack and he was bouncing a yoga ball in the kitchen. I said " Ok Jack , Mama and Papa are going out on a date."

 Before I could say that we will be back for bedtime or even mention of some apology of the now defunct cookie time, Brian said " Happy New Year Jack.See you in the morning."
Jack said " Bye, Happy New Year." Just like that. No tears. No pleas of  "Stay with me!!!" .No mention of cookies and playing with the huge snow ball ( AKA the yoga ball) . Just like that , he let us go.

My thoughts went to my friends and all these cute events that they were doing with their kids to celebrate NYE. And here we were, just leaving Jack. I at least wanted to say something to Jack about NYE and celebrations and what people do.

Brian on the other hand was happy that Jack was Mr. Cool when we left. We mentioned on what a big boy he was to see us go and that was when I cried. Not full out sobs, but little tears came out. I cried because I wanted to bake the cookies with Jack. I haven't seen him all day, I was only home for 40 minutes and yet he was cool with me leaving him. I cried because I realized that Jack is now such a big boy. Brian said it is better to have him be cool than us leaving him crying and feeling guilty about it.

Yeah, but he is not my little baby anymore.


No comments: