Monday, June 11, 2012

The Lost Treasure

I have this stuffed bunny that I got when I was in kindergarten. I think I got him for being a good student? He was fluffy, a lemon yellow as my dad calls it, his ears was bendable. It was the first gift that I associated as my special friend.
Over time, my rabbit has seen the how time can be. He is still lemon yellow, with a couple of missing fur patches, the wires that made his ears bendable poked out, so we took them out and now his ears flopped over his head. He was still my special guy, and made the move with me when I moved out for the first time. He made the move with me throught the three apartments that I have shared with Brian.
In comes Jack. He has discovered the bunny and now is attached to it. Which I love because how special is it to see your child attach himself to the very some love that you attached to as a child.
In comes last Wednesday when the rabbit got lost.
Jack , Brian and Charlie were all over on Wednesday and somewhere along the way, the rabbit decided to go his own way. By Thursday, it was a realization that this rabbit was lost and I died inside. A sadness that I thought I would never have over this stuffed , ragged but wonderful toy came over me and I couldn't stop crying. I cried as I changed Charlie's diaper. As I nursed Charlie. As I put on my PJ's. The whole time, I knew that it was a bit silly to cry over a toy. I'm 35!! But that was my childhood, my happiness and now it was gone. Probably in a trash somewhere, in the dumpster. Thinking of that just made me cry even more.
Then Jack comes along, and he said " I am so sorry I lost your bunny." Then I cried even more. Not for the bunny, but because my 4 year old son knew what it felt like to lose an important toy. And to think that he thought I was putting guilt on him made me feel like a complete jerk.
I held him tight and said " It is not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong." I said it over and over again, hoping that it could wipe away his guilt.
He even tried to make me laugh and said" Does that make you happy now?"
My beautiful son.
The rabbit was found of all places at Target the next day. I don't know if it was St. Anthony that did the trick( which you can bet I prayed and prayed to the whole night) or it was Brian's insistance on finding the toy, but he was found.
Jack amazed me that night. Trying so hard to make his mom happy. That's my boy everyone. He has just become my new stuffed bunny, my treasure that I cannot live without.

No comments: