Monday, March 5, 2012

The Right to Pump

Imagine my surprise when I came back from maternity leave to see that my work has created a "lactation station" as they so lovingly call it. A room just for us new mommies, to pump. It has come complete with a really nice leather chair, a sink and nicely painted walls and carpet. I thought it was excellent and thought Finally, now these people understand the importance of pumping at work. I didn't have to do it in a bathroom as other women have done it before. I didn't have to scrounge around to see if there was an available office to pump in. I have this room all to myself, and felt happy that all the hurtful comments that my coworkers said to me while I was pregnant was in the past.

Now imagine my surprise that people still act like 12 year olds whenever they pass the "Mother's room." I have heard it being called the boob room, the moo room ( because we moms have milk like cows. Funny right?) I have heard one person say " Be careful cause there is boob juice in there. "
Which is when I finally said " You know, that is not right and just mean. If that room scares you, don't go in there.Geez."
I gave my huffy look and stormed out the room.
I am so glad that I work somewhere in that people act like they accept women having babies and being pregnant, but then act like it is a curse for them. Because I was gone for three months, they couldn't get along with my replacement. It was hell for them! Because a sales manager has a baby and is gone for three months, now we won't make our budget! We will be short on our forecast! And all because that girl had to have a baby!!
I am so glad that I work somewhere where I have to find time to do my work and pump, but because I am pumping  2 or 3 x's a day, my work may not be done in one day. I am glad that people see that as a flaw somewhat.

Really, be accepting of anyone that has a baby. Do not treat them as though they had leprosy and have come back after being treated for it. Do not discredit them for bringing a new life into this world, and now has to provide for that new life by pumping. It's human nature. I thought you understood.

I am a woman who works really extremely hard to put her place in this workfield, does extra work, makes commentary during the important meetings just to show that I am really doing this job right. And then I come home to try to tend to two wonderful boys , one who needs me for cuddle time and milk , and one who needs me for cuddle time and talk. I am tired and exhausted by night's end. I don't need your jokes of how I am a cow, I am just a milk machine. blah blah blah.
Would you like it if I made fun of your single status? Of that you do not have any kids? No, because I am human. Or am I supposed to feel some sort of jealousy that you get to be able to go out and drink at night while poor me has to stay home with the kids. I would choose my kids over any night than being in an obnoxious club.
By the way, that one day last week that all the bosses decided to start doing a wine tasting at 4 because that was so important, you can bet that I took my sweet time to pump in the room and relax. That was my priority.

No comments: